Kara-Tunga Arts & Tours Ltd is a small scale tour company specialized in organising cultural community tours and outdoor adventures within the Karamoja region of Uganda. We are located in the administrative town of Moroto in the Moroto district where we also offer a range of hospitality services like conferencing, lodging and outdoor catering services.
We aim at positively promoting the Karamoja region through tourism and arts and recognise our responsibility as ambassadors for the region. Therefore we’re looking for equally passionate and hospitable team members with a big heart for our Karamojong culture.
Leveraging culture as a source of livelihood will ease the hostility between culture, development and a “modern” lifestyle and encourage young people in Karamoja to respect, preserve and embrace their traditions whilst also enhancing their opportunities in life.
Participate in our Arts and Crafts Sustainable Livelihoods programme in Karamoja (northeast Uganda). Bring your ideas, motivation and creativity, which you will need while interning for a local social enterprise. Help local artisans with product development and with offline or online promotion. At the same time, gain inspiration from them and develop your own ideas in the future.
Our project strives to support numerous local artists specialising in arts and crafts, such as jewellery and decorative items. These artists have established a local market for a basic income, but through the Kara-Tunga Arts initiative we aim at increasing their household income and preserving the tangible cultural heritage by connecting them to the (inter)national market through branding, improving the product range and quality control.
- Share your business skills, knowledge, and ideas with local business owners in Karamoja.
- Gain work-based experience and develop your CV or résumé.
- Assist in local efforts to establish business opportunities for social enterprises.
- Discover the challenges that small businesses face due to the lack of funding.
- Learn techniques and skills used to design and develop arts and crafts for sale.
- Pave a career in business or come up with your own business idea.
We are looking for an intern that will be leading the developing of an arts and crafts collection in collaboration with local craft maker groups and distributers in Uganda en abroad.
- Ability to work independent and manage projects
- Experience working abroad is a pre
- Fluency in English writing and speaking
- Proven experience in arts, crafts and design
- Proven experience in online and offline marketing and sales
- Availability of 3 months
- 350USD contribution per month for accommodation and staff meals (lunch/dinner).
- You’ll work in collaboration with a staff member
- Transport costs from the airport or other to and from Moroto is not provided.
- A notebook is required to work on
- All costs related to the project are covered
- Reduced price for Kara-Tunga activities
- A medical and travel insurance is obligatory
How to Apply
Applications including detailed Curriculum Vitae (C.V) and motivational lettre to be emailed to email@example.com.