Ateker Caravan 2022
The Ateker Caravan is an annual cross-border trip among the Ateker cluster of tribes (Uganda, South Sudan, Kenya and Ethiopia) aimed at preserving cultural heritage, fostering peace and prosperity through tourism and cross-border events.
The first Ateker Caravan was organised by Kara-Tunga Tours and partners from Uganda visiting South Sudan in December 2021. The second edition will take place in December 2022 whereby Turkana (Kenya) and Nyangatom (Ethiopia) will be visited.
Pre-registration for the trip has started officially and more details will be announced during the coming months of preperation.
The similarity in language, cultural and livelihoods among the Karamojong, Turkana, Toposa, Jiye, Teso and Nyangatom has become a strong element for Ateker communities to reunite.
With increasing need to build strong sustainable unity among the peoples of the four countries of Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan and Uganda language and culture have formed a bond among the people. In common, all these pastoralist communities remain outside mainstream social networks and discourse. They have thus rarely benefited from government infrastructure and development policies but have their own customary norms that govern their society, policies and economics. Due to insufficient attention to their current situation, few attempts have been made to guarantee their rights within the current development interventions which unfortunately have tended to disrupt their livelihoods consequently contributing to poverty and environmental degradation.
It is against this background that Ateker civil society organisations, individuals and private sector are caravan move to raise awareness on cross border cultural tourism and benefits for peace and development in the region.
- Sleep in traditional homesteads of the Turkana and Nyangatom community aimed at sharing stories of history, peace and culture with elders.
- Play youth games, traditional dances and participate in dialogues
- Witness Miss and Mister Nyangatom Competition
- Visit archeological and historical sites (Lokriama Peace Monument, Kalokol Standing Stones, Turkana Boy Monument, Omo Kibish Formation)
- Visit tourism sites (Lokulan and Kawra hot springs, Eliye Springs)
The Ateker Caravan is planned to take place, 20-30 December 2022
- 20th December – Travel from Moroto (Uganda) to Lodwar (Kenya)
- 21st December – Drive to border of Ethiopia
- 22nd to 28th December – Various activities in the land of Nyangatom
- 29th December – Travel from Ethiopia to Lodwar
- 30th December – Traveling to Moroto
The caravan will start and end in Moroto town in Uganda and the detailed itinerary will be shared within the coming months. Pre-register yourself now to receive updates on the developments around the Ateker Caravan on your email.
- Ethiopia (South Omo); Kangaten, Omorate
- Kenya (Turkana); Lokriama, Lodwar, Eliye Springs, Kalokol, Turkana Boy Monument
- Elemi triangle: Kibish
Visit more cultural festivals and events
- The Karamoja Lake Turkana Cultural Festival is aimed at celebrating Karimojong culture together with the so-called Ateker cluster tribes from Kenya, South Sudan and Ethiopia. The group tour combines a visit to the festival with an authentic Karimojong cultural experience and wildlife viewing in Uganda’s most applauded Kidepo Valley National Park.
- The Lodwar Lake Turkana Cultural Festival 2022 is aimed at celebrating Karimojong culture together with the so-called Ateker cluster tribes from Kenya, South Sudan and Ethiopia. The group tour combines a visit to the festival with an authentic Karimojong cultural experience and wildlife viewing in Uganda’s most applauded Kidepo Valley National Park.
- The Marsabit Lake Turkana Cultural Festival is Its sister festival and takes place in Loiyangalani on the Western shores of the Lake Turkana. This is the legendary annual Marsabit Lake Turkana Cultural Festival which brings together the 14 communities of Marsabit county.