Tour of Karamoja 2020
The Tour of Karamoja 2020 (4-11 October 2020) team is excited to announce the official 3rd edition of Uganda’s Wilderness Bike Tradition following the Warrior Nomad Trail in the untouched Karamoja land. The event is aimed at positively impacting the image of the region, preserving culture and natural environment and creating (job) opportunities for the local youth through sustainable tourism development.
The Tour of Karamoja 2020 honours its co-founder, former Tour de France cyclist and Sports Television commentator Paul Sherwen (1956-2018). This edition is in memory of Karamoja’s great ambassador.
The Tour of Karamoja 2020 is a one week event taking. There will be 5 days/stages on the saddle and one optional extra day in Kidepo Valley National Park.
– Arrival: Sunday 4 October (Pian Upe WR)
– Riding: Monday 5 – Friday 9 October
– Wildlife viewing: Saturday 10 October (Kidepo Valley NP)
– Return: Sunday 11 October
– Mon 5 Oct: Pian Upe > Amudat
– Tues 6 Oct: Amudat > Moroto
– Wed 7 Oct: Kotido > Kaabong
– Thurs 8 Oct: Kaabong > Morungole
– Fri 9 Oct: Morungole > Kidepo Valley
– Sat 10 Oct: Kidepo Valley (Optional)
The registration fee is $400 per person with the below inclusions and exclusions:
– 6 x dinner buffet
– 6 x packed lunch
– Finisher t-shirt
– Photo report
– Drinking water during the stage
– Luggage transfer stage-to-stage
– Standby medical staff
– Standby vehicle/motorbike
– Cultural activities
– Bike + helmet
– Camping gear
– Transfer to and from event
– Park entree fees
– Tips and souvenirs
Transport is excluded from the registration fee and can be booked as a ride sharing option in the Whatsapp Group of the event. The transport will be needed for participants and their luggage from Kampala to the start in Pian Upe WR and from the finish in Kidepo Valley NP to Kampala.
– Ride sharing to and from $700 per 7 pax tourist
– Transport of personal bike $40 (one way)
The Tour of Karamoja sleeps every night at a different location with varying types of accommodation or camping facilities. All participants will sleep at the same facility during the first 5 nights of the tour. Choice can be made to share a room or to book your private single. There’s a special offer for the last 2 nights at Kidepo Savannah Lodge.
Below prices for 7 nights bed and breakfast, excluding camping gear.
Budget accommodation package
Sleep the last 2 nights at Nagusokopire campsite in Kidepo Valley NP with an amazing view and basic facilities. The campsite is located close to Savannah Lodge where the meals will be eaten from. Price includes: 5 Nights basic rooms & camping + 2 Nights at campsite in Kidepo Valley.
|Rooms + camping||$125||$100|
Savannah accommodation package
Sleep the last 2 nights at Kidepo Savannah lodge and end your experience with the comfort of a hot shower, cold beers, great food and a breathtaking view. Price includes: 5 Nights basic rooms & camping + 2 Nights at Kidepo Savannah Lodge.
|Non-self-contained tent (Savannah Lode)||$175pp||$150pp||$100pp|
Pian Upe – Bandas or Camping
Amudat – Bandas or Camping
Moroto – Guesthouse or Camping
Kaabong – Hotel or Camping
Morungole – Camping
Kidepo – Safari tents or Camping
Extra bike services
– Private Bike transfer to start from finish: $80 ($40 each way)
– 6 Days Bike rental: $240 ($40 per day)
– Bike servicing: $10 / service
Park entry fees
Kidepo Valley Entrance fee (2 days in total)
– Foreign: $40 pp/day
– Resident: $30 pp/day
– Citizen: 20,000 ugx pp/day
– Annual pass: FREE
– Official jersey: $60
– Paul Sherwen RoadID Bracelet $40